What are the benefits of conducting a patent search?
A preliminary search may reveal that an invention already exists, saving time and the expenses of filing a patent application.
To compare an invention to previous patents, searches can be undertaken through current and pending patents that have been made public, starting with the Canadian Patents Database.
If you require assistance, you may click on "help" for additional information and guidelines.
Other advantages of conducting a patent search:
- Identify trends and developments in a specified field of technology;
- Discover new product lines which you can license from the patentee or use without needing a licence;
- Find information that prevents duplication of research;
- Identify unproductive avenues of enquiry by reading about the current state of the art;
- Keep track of the work of a particular individual or company by seeing what patents they have been granted;
- Find a solution to a technical problem; and
- Gain new ideas for research in a particular field.