What can and cannot be registered?
Each mark is examined in accordance with the Trade-marks Act.
he kinds of marks that you may not register include the following:
- names and surnames;
- clearly descriptive marks;
- deceptively misdescriptive marks;
- words that denote a geographical location commonly known to be the place of origin of such goods or services;
- words or designs that are considered confusing with a previously registered trade-mark or pending trade-mark; and
- words or designs that nearly resemble a prohibited mark.