ARCHIVED — Professional Designations and Abbreviations, Acronyms or Initials
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
- Consultation Updates
- Consultation Period
- Consultation and Discussion
- New Practice Notice - Professional Designations and their initials — Paragraph 12(1)(b) of the Trade-marks Act
- New Practice Notice - Descriptiveness and abbreviations, acronyms or initials
Wednesday Oct 6th, 2010
All comments received during this consultation have been considered, and a final practice notice has been completed concerning professional designations and their initials and descriptiveness and abbreviations, acronyms or initials.
Consultation comments received.
- Charlene Pries (PDF - 1.1 MB - 2 pages)
- Conseil Interprofessionel du Québec (PDF - 274.7 KB - 11 pages)
- Engineers Canada Submissions to CIPO Proposed Practice Notice (PDF - 678.5 KB - 4 pages)
- IPIC (letter) (PDF - 256.3 KB - 1 page)
- IPIC Submission on Abbreviations (PDF - 144.9 KB - 4 pages)
- IPIC Submission on Professional Designations (PDF - 145.3 KB - 4 page)
- Ogilvy Renault (PDF - 903.6 KB - 2 pages)
- Ordre des comptables agréés du Québec (English) (PDF - 4.1 MB - 6 pages)
- Ordre des comptables agréés du Québec (French) (PDF - 4.2 MB - 6 pages)
- Robert Douglas Peck (PDF - 531.8 KB - 2 pages)
Please note that comments are in the language in which they were submitted to CIPO.
Consultation period: January 29th, 2010 to February 28th, 2010
As part of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office's (CIPO) commitment to provide quality and timely intellectual property rights, the Trade-marks Branch is requesting your participation in a consultation on two (2) proposed practice notices. These are intended to provide some clarification regarding the application of the provisions of paragraph 12(1)(b) of the Trade-marks Act to professional designations and to trade-marks that consists of or contain an abbreviation, acronym or initial.
For more details on the suggested changes, your attention is directed to the proposed practice notices entitled Professional Designations and Their Initials and Descriptiveness of Abbreviations, acronyms or Initials.
Any comments you may wish to submit will be reviewed during the consultation period and will be considered prior to being posted on this website. Your comments are appreciated and will add value to the process of finalizing our practice notice. Please note that all comments will be retained online for three (3) months from the date of posting.
For consideration, please provide your comments by February 28th, 2010. They may be sent by email to Stephanie.Golden@ic.gc.ca, by fax at 819-953-CIPO (819-953-2476), or by regular mail to the following address:
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
50 Victoria Street,
Place du Portage II
Gatineau, QC K1A 0C9
Attention: Stephanie Golden
Thank you for your participation and interest in this matter.