CIPO Fee Payment Form Help Guide
This Help Guide builds on the instructions included in the CIPO Fee Payment Form and explains how to complete all of the form's sections. It is organized in the same way as the form, using the same section titles.
The Fee Payment Form is to be used for all fee payments submitted to CIPO by mail, facsimile or hand-delivery. The form helps CIPO streamline the routing of paper requests and the processing of related fee payments. Of importance to CIPO's clients, the form will increase the security of their financial information, as information submitted in the form will not be included in the file relating to an application and will not be made available for public inspection.
- Part 1 — General Information
- Part 2 — How to Download and Submit the Form
- Part 3 — How to Complete the Form
Part 1 — General Information
This form must only be used to provide financial information concerning the fee payment method as well as other information that will assist CIPO's Finance and Administration Directorate in correctly processing your payment. Any substantive information, such as information concerning the purpose for which these fees are paid or information concerning the prosecution of an application, must be submitted in a separate document (such as covering correspondence). Information submitted in this form is not considered to form part of the substantive file relating to an application or any other procedure. CIPO does not make this information available for public inspection.
- If sending the Fee Payment Form and covering correspondence by facsimile, please do not submit a hard copy by mail. This could result in a duplicate payment.
- CIPO will not speculate as to which fee the payment is intended to cover. If the client's intention is unclear, CIPO may not process the fee payment. Therefore, it is the client's responsibility to provide CIPO with as much information as possible with regard to the fee payment submitted.
- Ensure that you include all unique identifying numbers in order to help CIPO match your payment, covering correspondence and/or listing with the Fee Payment Form. If you are paying a fee relating to a previously filed application, indicate the application/serial number, patent number or registration number associated with your request.
- It is the client's responsibility to ensure that sufficient funds are available to cover all fee payments. If an alternate method of payment is identified by the client, CIPO will, when necessary, attempt to withdraw the funds from the methods of payment in the order in which they appear on the Fee Payment Form. If the funds are insufficient, the fee payment may not be processed.
- Refer to the current fee schedule for more information on CIPO fees. To request a paper copy by mail, contact the CIPO Client Service Centre at 1-866-997-1936.
Should a client wish to include a general authorization statement in the covering correspondence sent by mail, facsimile or hand-delivery, please refer to the Practice Notice entitled Fee Payment: General Authorization to Charge a Deficiency.
Protecting Your Credit Card Information
CIPO recommends using the Fee Payment Form for credit card payments submitted by mail, facsimile, or hand-delivery. To protect your credit card information:
- When using the Fee Payment Form to communicate credit card information, do not include payment information on any other accompanying form or document sent to CIPO.
- Do not submit this form by email.
- Credit card information for online credit card payments should be entered exclusively using one of the electronic filing services with electronic payment capability.
Part 2 — How to Download and Submit the Form
How to Download and Save the Form to Your Computer
To download the Fee Payment Form, simply click on the PDF link below, and save the file to your computer. Next, complete the form following the instructions in Part 3 of this Help Guide. Once completed, print the form from your computer and send it to CIPO. You may want to keep a copy of the form for your records.
If you prefer, you can also click on the XHTML link below, complete the form online on CIPO's website, then print the completed form from your own printer.
Using Adobe Acrobat Reader for the Form in Portable Document Format (PDF)
To view and use the CIPO Fee Payment Form properly, it is recommended that you use Adobe Acrobat (Standard or Professional) software version 8 or higher.
To check which version of Acrobat Reader you are using, click on the START at the bottom left of your screen, select “Programs” from the list. The list of programs will appear and you will see the version number of the Adobe Reader you are working with (e.g., Adobe Reader 8).
Reusing Information Saved on the Form
Information you enter into the form can be saved and stored on your own computer for future use. This can save you time by not having to re-enter information that you will reuse for future fee payments sent to CIPO. It is recommended that you double check any information you have previously stored on the form when reusing it as some information may have changed or may need to be updated. For example, the expiry date of your credit card needs to be updated periodically and forgetting to include the new expiry date may result in your fee not being processed by CIPO.
Completing the Form by Hand and Computer (or Online)
You can print the form and complete it by hand or you can download and save the form for completing on your computer (or online) as indicated above (see: How to Download and Save the Form to Your Computer). Both methods of filling out the form are accepted by CIPO. Choose the option that is most convenient for you. Please note that CIPO requires that the form be submitted by mail, facsimile or hand-delivery and will not accept the form by email.
For faster processing, you may continue to pay certain fees online using CIPO's electronic filing systems, as these systems also ensure the security of your financial information.
Sending the Form to CIPO
Clients can send the form by mail, facsimile or hand-delivery. Please refer to the Contact Us page for CIPO's facsimile number and mailing address. For more details on our facsimile process, please refer to CIPO's Correspondence Procedures.
Requesting Paper Copies of the Form
You can submit a request online or call the Client Service Centre (1-866-997-1936) in order to have copies of the form mailed to you.
Part 3 — How to Complete the Form
Section 1: Fee Type or Replenishment Deposit Account
Please check only one box indicating the fee type or, if you wish to replenish your deposit account, check the box for that purpose and enter your account number.
Section 2: Application/Registration/Patent Information
If you do not already have an application number, it is not necessary to complete this field. If you are submitting a new application, you will only receive your application number once your request has been processed. If you do have an application number, then it must be indicated on the Fee Payment Form to ensure that the request is processed accurately.
If the form is being sent with a single application, please complete the fields on the form in the manner outlined below. If the form is being sent with a large package including a listing of what is contained, check the Listing Attached box. Please note that not all fee payments can be included on a listing. Please consult the applicable legislation and regulations.
- Application/Registration/Patent Number: If your payment relates to an application for a patent, trademark, copyright, industrial design or integrated circuit topography, enter the application number. If your trademark, copyright, industrial design or integrated circuit topography is already registered, provide the registration number. If your payment relates to an already issued patent, enter the patent number.
- Client Reference Number: If applicable, this is the reference number provided by your company/firm. This number should also be included in the covering correspondence.
- Purpose of Payment: Indicate clearly the purpose for which you are providing payment to CIPO. For more information on CIPO fees, please refer to the current fee schedule.
Section 3: Contact Information for Method of payment
In order to ensure that CIPO is able to effectively communicate with you, please ensure that this section is completed in full. Please note that some legislation restricts who can correspond with the Office. Therefore, the name of the company/firm should be clearly mentioned. Please check the applicable legislation for further information.
- Surname: enter the surname of the contact associated with the method of payment being used (i.e., the family name of the agent or other representative (e.g., Smith)). Please note that some legislation restricts who can correspond with the Office. Therefore, the name of the company/firm should be clearly mentioned. Please check the applicable legislation for further information.
- Given Name: enter the given name of the contact associated with the method of payment being used (i.e., the given name of the agent or other representative (e.g., John)).
- Company/Firm Name: enter the name of the company/firm that is sending the package to CIPO for payment and action ( e.g., ACME Ltd. or ACME LLB.).
- Address: enter the street number, street name, and suite number (if applicable) ( e.g., 50 Victoria Street, Suite 999).
- City: enter the name of the city (e.g., Gatineau).
- Province: enter the name of the province or use the drop down list provided (e.g., Quebec).
- Postal Code: enter the postal code using the appropriate format (e.g., X3X 3X3).
- Telephone Number: enter the telephone number. Dashes are not required; simply type the numbers (e.g., 1231231234).
- Fax Number: enter the facsimile number. Dashes are not required; simply type the numbers (e.g., 1231231234).
- Email Address: enter your e-mail address (e.g., email@example.com).
Section 4: Payment Details — Method of Payment
Please check only one box for the method of payment. The methods of payment accepted are: credit card, cheque / money order, deposit account or wire transfer. Complete the fields on the form as indicated below for the payment method selected.
Enter all necessary credit card information, including the payment amount to be charged to your credit card. CIPO cannot process credit card payments without all the required information (i.e., credit card number, name of cardholder, expiry date, card identification number).
- Credit Card Account Number: enter the 15 or 16 digit credit card number, no spaces required ( e.g., 1234123412341234).
- Card Identification Number: enter the credit card identification number. For MasterCard or VISA, the card identification number (also called the card verification value) is the three digit number located on the back of the card, while American Express cards list a four digit number on the front of the card.
- Expiry Date: enter the expiry date of the credit card.
- Name as it Appears on Credit Card: enter the name of credit cardholder exactly as it appears on the credit card.
Cheque / Money Order
- Reference Number: enter the cheque or money order serial/reference number.
- Deposit Account Number: enter the deposit account number.
- Wire Transfer: no additional fields are required. Simply check the appropriate box and attach the relevant information.
Section 5: Payment Details — Alternate Method of Payment
This section is to be used at your discretion if you believe a second method of payment may be required to ensure that sufficient funds be available to cover the full payment. Alternate payments can only be made by credit card or deposit account. Please refer to the instructions above in Section 4 in order to ensure that this information is properly provided to CIPO.
Upon receipt at CIPO, the Fee Payment Form will be date stamped. Space is provided should you wish to include the date for your company or firm's internal purposes or procedures.
A signature is not required for the processing of a credit card payment made with the Fee Payment Form.
- Date modified: