Filing Canadian Patent Applications
1. Before you apply
If you haven't already done so, we suggest that you do the following before starting your application:
- Consult A Guide to Patents, Patent Application Tutorial and The Patent Application Process
- Conduct a Patent Search
- Consult international IP resources
Please note that you cannot use the form below to file a PCT International Patent Application. For an international application, see the instructions on the PCT E-Filing page.
2. Your application must contain:
- Name and address of applicant or patent agent
- Documents in TIFF or PDF format (including abstract, claims to the invention and drawings when applicable) describing the invention
- Biological sequence listings (when applicable) in PDF or TIFF and in ASCII
- Filing fee and signed small entity declaration if applicable
- Formal petition (a petition will be automatically generated once you complete the applications form)
3. Access the application form (mandatory login)
To create a new username and password or update your existing registration, go to My Industry Canada Account.
4. Complete an application
Our website does not save your application. You need to save it to your own computer.
To help you submit your application electronically, our form lets you enter the data and attach the Abstract, Disclosure, Claims, Drawings and other documents. An Instruction Letter and a Petition will be automatically generated once you finish your data entry.
Complete the Technical Problem Report form.
- Date modified: