Filing/Completing a Canadian Application for Patent
To assist you in submitting your application electronically, CIPO has developed a form to be used to enter the data and attach documents for the Abstract, Disclosure, Claims, Drawings and other documents. Upon completion of the data entry, an Instruction Letter and a Petition will be automatically generated for you.
Documents such as assignments or the specification of the application must be provided in multi-page TIFF or PDF format EXCEPT for biological sequence listings. Biological sequence listings have to be provided in both a multi-page TIFF or PDF file AND an ASCII file.
When filing a new application, you must provide at least the following information:
- Name of Applicant;
- Address of Applicant or Patent Agent;
- A description in TIFF or PDF format; and
- A description of fees paid and the total fees included.
To obtain a petition, you must fill in all fields.
* Please note that section 94 of the Patent Rules provides that even though an application has been given a filing date under section 93 of the Patent Rules it is incomplete unless it meets the requirements of sections 68, 69, 70 and subsection 94(2) of the Patent Rules at the time of filing. Subsection 94(2) of the Patent Rules requires that certain information and documents, if not supplied at the time of filing, be supplied in order to complete the application.
We encourage you to read the additional "Help" information available when you are filling in the form. If you want to familiarize yourself with the various aspects of a patent application and its preparation please go to the tutorial on how to write a patent application. Should you require technical assistance, please contact us or submit a Technical Problem Report form.
For questions regarding payments, please consult the page How to make a payment.
All further correspondence from CIPO will be sent according to your preference. Since E-mail is currently unsecure, when your correspondence relates to applications for patents which are not yet laid open, you may wish to indicate that future correspondence should be sent by regular mail, to provide better security for the information being transmitted. Please advise us if you change your E-mail address so that all future correspondence can be sent to you in a timely manner.
Please note that you cannot use this form to file a PCT International Patent Application. To file an international application, please follow the instructions available on the PCT E-Filing page
System and Browser Requirements
You should review our System and Browser Requirements to ensure you have the required software.
Industry Canada Registration
Before accessing any secure electronic services, you must first log on to the Industry Canada secure server.
- For assistance with your username and password, contact the Industry Canada Help Desk.
- For questions related to Patent applications, to obtain a user guide, or for assistance related to Patents' electronic services, please contact the Client Service Centre.
- To report a technical problem, please complete the Technical Problem Report form.
Note*: Deposit Account fee payments are not debited from your account when the document transmission is confirmed. The transmittal confirmation only indicates that the submitted document has been received at CIPO; payment will be debited from your account when the service request is processed by CIPO's Finance and Administration Directorate.