SG PAT 03 (entry level)
Patent Examiner / Classifier
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
The SG PAT 03 level is a training level in preparation for advancement to the SG PAT 04 working level for patent Examiners. The responsibilities include learning both the technical and the legal aspects of patent examination in a comprehensive training program comprising a formal lectures course combined with on-the-job practical training. Under the direct supervision of a Training Officer and the general supervision of a Section Head, patent applications are examined and technical, legal reports are prepared.
Statement of Merit Criteria
Unique Essential Requirements
Master's degree or higher in biochemistry or in a field related to molecular biology.
Bachelor's degree from a recognized university in electrical or computer engineering.
Honours degree in chemistry from a recognized university. (an honours degree in chemistry is a four year university degree or a three year university degree post-CEGEP).
General Chemistry Stream:
Honours degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or equivalent four-year degree from a recognized university. (an honours degree in chemistry is a four year university degree or a three year university degree post-CEGEP).
Bachelor's degree from a recognized university in mechanical engineering.
Official Languages Proficiency:
The knowledge of the English language is essential for this position.
Significant* experience in fields of technology corresponding to Patent Office requirements.
Knowledge of Canadian intellectual property.
- Ability to plan and manage own time by governing his/her work elements systematically and by controlling time effectively.
- Ability to analyse and synthesize or explain the technical elements of a situation or process to understand the nature of the elements and how they interact.
- Ability to interpret policies, acts, regulations, procedures, guidelines and/or rules and apply them judiciously.
- Ability to solve problems by dealing effectively with a situation through reasoning, discussion and action.
- Ability to communicate orally in such a way that his or her point of view is understood.
- Ability to communicate in writing in such a way that his or her point of view is understood.
- Thoroughness: Ensures that the work is done.
- Judgement: Makes appropriate logical and practical decisions.
- Self-sufficiency: works from general instructions and uses available resources before asking for help, while using the same work methods with or without supervision.
- Focus on Results: Balances work quality and objectives.
- Effective Interpersonal Relationships: Establishes and maintains professional working relationships based on listening and respecting persons within the organization and external clients.
- Dependability: Is reliable and punctual. Achieves consistent, satisfactory results within established time frames. Performs work consistently and competently. Adapts easily to change.
Reliability / Security:
- A Master in Science or higher (applicable to the Electrical, Organic, General Chemistry, and Mechanical streams).
- Recent ** experience in fields of technology corresponding to Patent Office requirements.
N.B. All qualifications are considered critical to job performance and considered non-compensatory. Candidates must meet the individual pass mark set for each qualification.
* Significant experience refers to the breadth and depth as well as complexity of tasks performed in a work or research environment such as in the industry or research facilities.
** Recent experience is described as experience acquired within the last two years.