FAQ on Industrial Designs
- Before filing an application
- Filing the application and other documents
- After filing the application
- After the registration
Before filing an application
- What is an industrial design?
- When can I file an industrial design application?
- What is the difference between a distinguishing guise and an industrial design?
- What cannot be protected by an industrial design?
- Who can apply for an industrial design?
- Is there a time limit for filing an application for registration?
- Can non-Canadians register their designs in Canada?
- I only want to register a design applied to part of an article. Is this possible?
- What is an assignment?
- What is a license?
- Can I register my design as an artistic work under the Copyright Act?
- It would be easier to understand my industrial design if I could show the article in a particular setting. Is this possible?
Filing the application and other documents
- What do I need in order to apply for industrial design registration?
- English and French are not my first language. Can I submit my application in another language?
- What happens if someone else applies for the same design that I apply for?
- Can I get help in filing an application for industrial design protection?
- If I submit my application online, is there a specific format that I must use to submit my drawings?
- What type of description do I need to include?
- What type of drawings or photographs are necessary?
- What is "maintenance" and what is the maintenance fee?
- Where can I find information on the fees for registration?
After filing the application
- What is the classification of an industrial design?
- How is the application examined?
- Will the Industrial Design Office know if I did not originate the design?
- What is the first step that CIPO will take when they receive my application?
- Can I ask for a delay in the registration of my industrial design?
- Can I ask for an extension of time to respond to a report?
- Can I make amendments to my Industrial Design application?
- Can I take further action if my application is deemed non-registrable in the final report?
- Can I withdraw my application?
- When should I expect my application to become registered and what does it mean for me?
After the registration
- What are my rights as the registered proprietor?
- Do I have to put any marking on the articles?
- How long does registration last?
- If I sell or purchase rights to a design, do I need to inform the Industrial Design Office?
- What does it mean when my file becomes abandoned?
- Can I make amendments to a Registered Industrial Design?
- Can I withdraw my request to maintain a registration or my request to record an agreement?
- How can I reinstate my industrial design application after abandonment?
- What will the Industrial Design Office send me after registering my application?
- Would the Industrial Design Office stop someone else from infringing my design?
- When will my industrial design registration be posted in the Industrial Designs Database?
Previous question | List of FAQ on industrial designs | Next question