FAQ on Trade-marks
- Before filing an application
- Filing the application and other documents
- After filing the application
- After the registration
Before filing an application
- What is a trade-mark?
- What are the steps in obtaining a trade-mark registration?
- How do I file a trade-mark in Canada?
- Who can register a trade-mark?
- What can and cannot be registered?
- Why register a trade-mark?
- Are there different kinds of trade-marks?
- What is the difference between a registered trade-mark and an unregistered trade-mark?
- What is the difference between trade-marks and other forms of intellectual property?
- Can I file for a word and a logo together on the same application?
- Is registration mandatory?
- What is the difference between a company name and trade-mark?
- Can I obtain a trade-mark registration for a mark that sounds like another one?
- What kinds of marks cannot be registered?
- Can I register my own name as a trade-mark?
- Can I register the name of a cartoon character?
- Is it possible to use the maple leaf or the Canadian flag?
- Should the circled TM symbol be part of my trade-mark?
- Why is the preliminary search important?
- Will you tell me during my preliminary search whether my trade-mark can be registered?
- What are Vienna Codes?
Filing the application and other documents
- What do I need to include in my application?
- Can you tell me if my trade-mark application will be approved?
- Can a trade-mark application be reinstated?
- How much does registration cost?
- How much does it cost to request an extension of time?
- Where can I find the information on fees for trade-marks?
- I received a fax/letter asking me to pay a fee but it is not from CIPO (or my agent).
After filing the application
- What if I missed responding to an examiner's report?
- Can I make changes to my trade-mark?
- For how long is my trade-mark registration valid? Can I renew my trade-mark registration?
After the registration
- How can I update my address?
- Can I change the name of the owner on the register?
- Does registration in Canada protect my rights in other countries?
- Will your office ensure that my trade-mark is not infringed?
- May I allow other parties to use my registered trade-mark?
- Do I need to renew a Newfoundland trade-mark?
- Where can I look up the Trade-marks Journal?
- Should I incorporate my company?
- Can the Trade-mark Office give assistance if I am accused of infringement?
Previous question | TM List of FAQs | Next question