How to Become a Registered Patent Agent
To become a registered patent agent you must qualify by examination, which is held at least once a year. Those interested in the examination must apply by the deadline published on the web site of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
The application and prescribed examination fee along with the CIPO Fee Payment Form should be sent either by fax to 819-953-CIPO (2476) or addressed to the:
Commissioner of Patents
Place du Portage l
50 Victoria Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0C9
Please note that we accept applications sent by either fax or mail. We will not accept applications received by email.
For more information on the Patent Agent Exam process, please consult the candidate guide to writing the Patent Agent Exam.
Patent Agent Exam 1999 to 2007
Please note that on requesting a copy in paper form of a document, the fee is $1.00 plus GST for each page.
- 2013 Exams and Marking Guides
- 2012 Exams and Marking Guides
- 2010 Exams and Marking Guides
- 2008 Exams and Marking Guides
Report on Previous Examination
- Furnishing evidence when applying for the patent agent examination
- Guidelines for candidates requesting special accommodation to write the patent agent examination
For more information, please refer to:
Information on tutorials may be obtained from the:
Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
60 Queen Street, Suite 606
Ottawa ON K1P 5Y7
- Date modified: