What is CIPO?
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), a Special Operating Agency (SOA) associated with Industry Canada, is responsible for the administration and processing of the greater part of intellectual property in Canada. CIPO's areas of activity include:
- Patents cover new inventions (process, machine, manufacture, composition of matter), or any new and useful improvement of an existing invention;
- A trade-mark is a word (or words), a design, or a combination of these, used to identify the goods or services of one person or organization and to distinguish these goods or services from those of others in the marketplace.
- Copyright provide protection for artistic, dramatic, musical or literary works (including computer programs), and three other subject-matter known as: performance, sound recording and communication signal;
- Industrial designs are the visual features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornament (or any combination of these features), applied to a finished article of manufacture;
- Integrated circuit topographies refer to the three-dimensional configurations of electronic circuits embodied in integrated circuit products or layout designs.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) manages another type of intellectual property.
- Plant breeders' rights apply to certain new plant varieties.
All sorts of people have a stake in intellectual property — business people, inventors, artists, designers, electronic microchip manufacturers, plant breeders and others.
Whatever your particular interest, you'll find the type of intellectual property that applies to you on CIPO's Web site.
Vision, Mission and Values
To contribute to Canada's innovation and economic success by:
- Providing greater certainty in the marketplace through high-quality and timely IP rights;
- Fostering and supporting invention and creativity through knowledge sharing;
- Raising awareness to encourage innovators to better exploit IP;
- Helping business compete globally through international cooperation and the promotion of Canada's IP interests; and,
- Administering Canada's IP system and office efficiently and effectively.
Our leadership and expertise in intellectual property supports creativity, enhances innovation, and contributes to economic success.
As trusted partners in building an innovative Canadian economy:
- We serve with excellence and efficiency in all that we do;
- We make timely and sound decisions on IP rights; and,
- We respect the perspectives of stakeholders while carrying out our regulatory function.
As proud employees of CIPO:
- We perform our duties in a manner that preserves and builds on CIPO's good reputation and credibility;
- We work collaboratively;
- We act as ambassadors of IP; and
- We are committed to continuous improvement and learning.
As an individual:
- I respect my fellow employees;
- I value diversity; and
- I appreciate the ideas and contributions of other employees.
Commissioner of Patents, Registrar of Trade-marks and
Chief Executive Officer
Sylvain Laporte: 819-997-1057 (telephone), 819-997-1890 (facsimile)
Corporate Strategy and Services
Pierre R. Bélisle, Executive Director: 819-994-2828 (telephone), 819-997-1890 (facsimile)
Agnès Lajoie, Assistant Commissioner of Patents: 819-997-2949 (telephone), 819-994-1989 (facsimile)
Lisa Power, Director General: 819-997-2423 (telephone), 819-997-1421 (facsimile)
Copyright and Industrial Design Branch
Mesmin Pierre, Director: 819-994-4600 (telephone), 819-997-6357 (facsimile)
Trade-marks Opposition Board
Darlene Carreau, Chair: 819-997-2469 (telephone), 819-997-5092 (facsimile)
Patent Appeal Board
Chris Evans, Chair: 819-934-2323 (telephone), 819-997-5052 (facsimile)
Enterprise Solutions Branch
Daniel Boulet, Director General: 819-953-3995 (telephone), 819-953-5059 (facsimile)
Marie-Andrée Katia Bertrand, A/Director: 819-934-7594 (telephone), 819-953-6004 (facsimile)
For general information on intellectual property please contact the Client Service Centre.
Annual Report 2011–2012
Annual Report 2010–2011
Annual Report 2009–2010
For archives of our Annual Report, please contact us.